Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Prove me wrong, Drew: or, O Canada Part II

One week after I posted a bleak prediction regarding the fate of Canada's indie scene, Broken Social Scene bandleader Kevin Drew announced that the collective plans to release a new record on May 4th. According to that website Pitchfork, the album was arranged mainly by a group of six consisting of Drew, Brendan Canning, Justin Peroff, Charles Spearin, Andrew Whiteman (also of Apostle of Hustle), and Sam Goldberg. But that's not quite all--Leslie "Feist" Feist, Metric's Emily Haines, Stars' Amy Milan, Lisa Lobsinger, and many others also contribute to the disc. More details can be found in a delightful interview with Drew can be found here.

I am going to infer from the timing of the new album's announcement that Kevin Drew follows this blog, so I would like to take advantage of his readership to say that I hope my aforementioned prediction turns out to be wrong. 2002's You Forgot It In People is one of my favorite records of the last decade and the self-titled follow up three years later didn't disappoint. And your performance of the latter album's closing track, "It's All Gonna Break", at the 2008 Lollapalooza went unparalleled at that festival. What I'm trying to say is this: even though you haven't recorded anything particularly interesting in the last five years, I should keep faith in you based on a pretty damn solid track record. I would welcome few things more than another album that gives me the same thrill upon first listen as You Forgot It In People.

Your move, BSS. I know you're reading.

PS Also it would be quite nice if you would do a full lineup show at the Pitchfork Music Festival. Bring Band of Horses along too so I don't have to feel so bitter about the show the two of you are doing with Pavement in Toronto.

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't listened to You Forgot In People. Think you could lend it to sometime if you have it? Along with all the other albums you were gonna lend me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love how all I did in my comment was ask for favors.

    ReplyDelete